Christiana & Adam

Christiana & Adam

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Our Adoption Video

  One of the benefits of registering with an adoption agency is that they take care of everything.  This includes promoting us to potential birth mothers why we would be a good family to have adopt their baby.  Our agency, Open Adoption & Family Services, filmed us last year just before one of our homestudy interviews.
  So they give you a heads up about what they want to you talk about.  While the temptation to make fun of each other was very strong, we both decided to take it seriously.  The answers are not scripted, no teleprompter, and all done in one take.  Not saying I'm deserving of an Oscar, but a Golden Globe nomination would be in order.
  Please watch the video and then read below for a great story about the hidden joke at the end.



  When Chris says that we can buy a bigger turkey for Thanksgiving, this is a reference to our first Thanksgiving in 1994.  We were just newlyweds and for the first time we were going to have Thanksgiving dinner at our apartment.  Only two other guests were coming and one didn't eat turkey.  As many of you know, I pretty much do all of the cooking.  But at the time I was going to have to work on Thanksgiving during the day, meaning my wonderful wife would have to cook the turkey.
  A week earlier I went to the local supermarket to get a turkey.  I was given very strict instructions that I could not come back into the apartment with a turkey bigger than eight pounds.  All they had were frozen turkeys and the smallest one was a fraction under twelve pounds.  I came home, put it the freezer with the weight tag clearly showing if you opened up the refrigerator.  When asked if it was an eight pound turkey, I responded with it's a heavy eight pound turkey.
  Fast forward to Thanksgiving morning, the bird is almost defrosted.  I help Chris get everything prepped and then go to work.  A few hours later I get a phone call from my wonderful wife.

Chris: Honey, how big was that turkey?
Me: (not noticing the annoyance in her voice) It was a heavy eight pound turkey.
Chris: How heavy?
Me: (realizing that my jig was up) About four pounds heavy.

  Turns out that one of the guests showed up and immediately melted a few sticks of butter to baste the bird and asked Chris how big the turkey was.  When she responded that it was eight pounds our friend said that is not an eight pound turkey.  And when I got home I had to pay the piper, but explained that I tried to find an eight pound turkey, nearly getting frostbite on my fingers going through the turkeys.  Maybe it was the spirit of Thanksgiving, or that we were in our second month of marriage the reason that she forgave me.  But the reality was there was a lot of wine during that meal, a whole lot of wine.
  It has become a running joke about me getting a heavy eight pound turkey over the years.  But seriously I do love cooking Thanksgiving and always look for a reason to get a bigger bird.  So if you have nowhere to go on Thanksgiving this year please come over to our house.  I can get another heavy eight pound turkey by at least another ten pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment