Christiana & Adam

Christiana & Adam

Friday, April 24, 2015

Our Adoption Book

  One of the nice things about using an adoption agency is that they help you promote yourself to potential birth-mothers.  So we created a family scrapbook about our lives, what we enjoy doing, where we live, our friends, our family and our hopes and aspirations.
  There were two different sites they recommended, ended up choosing Shutterfly because they looked the most user friendly.  Even though I am considered to be the King of Scrapbooking, I prefer to play that close to the vest.  Of course if you asked Chris she would deny this, which actually works well into my plan.
  After reviewing hundreds of photos, and working on layout, fonts and what to say, we created our family book.  Six copies were printed, four of them are in the Portland office to be checked out and two were sent to the Seattle office.  Please look it over and a funny story about the book came up last night which I will talk about below.





  Last night I was at a meeting with other parents who are in the adoption pool from our agency.  We were talking before the meeting started and someone said that they really liked our family book.  I was taken by surprise, mainly since I forgot that it is on our adoption page.  But was very appreciative that they liked it and used some of my design.  But what she like the most was the fonts.
  Here's what is so funny about that statement.  When I was doing the layout, and getting regular sign off from the boss, I decided to use as many of the fonts that they provided.  How could I resist, there were over 40 of them!  All of them like a shinny red button, calling out "Use Me, Use Me!"  What was I supposed to do?
  Well pretty much everyone who looked over the book said two things, the layout is amazing and you really need to fix those fonts.  I gave in and set them all to the same font, something normal like Arial, and finished the book.
  Getting back to last night, being so honest I admitted that the fonts looked great since everybody told me to change them.  It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, thankfully I'm not that big.




No comments:

Post a Comment