Christiana & Adam

Christiana & Adam

Friday, April 18, 2014

O is for open

Christiana has been participating the A to Z challenge which challenges you to write a post about each letter of the alphabet for the month of April. If you take Sunday's off that gives you 26 days. Here is the entry for O. 

O is for open. Open is a interesting word since it can be used in some many ways
  1. is the store open yet?
  2. what time does the library open?
  3. will there be an open bar at your party?
  4. what is open adoption?
The last one is the one that I want to focus on right now. My husband and I are in the middle of an open adoption which according to Wikipedia is: Open adoption is a form of adoption in which the biological and adoptive families have access to varying degrees of each other's personal information and have an option of contact. That is a good definition and one that I would support.
I have to be honest and say that sometimes people who I speak to do not understand why we would want an open adoption. Here are some of the questions and my answers.
  • Won't it cause problems in the future they ask?  Nope. It is up to you to make sure that it doesn't.
  • Won't the birth parents end making decision for the child? Nope. The adoptive parents are the parents and they make all decisions.  If they wish the can consult the birth parents but it is up to the adoptive parents to make the final decision.
  • How will the child know who real parents are? This is the one that bothers me the most: A child's real parents are the one who loves and takes care of the child. That to me is the definition of a parent.
For more information about our adoption click this FB page: https://www.facebook.com/mayeradoption

This post first appeared on the Magic Bag of Words blog: http://wp.me/p3hOqT-3K 

No comments:

Post a Comment